Westenhellweg, 44137 Dortmund
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
Project is part of "Housing Culture Trail"
1322 / 1352/53 (Chor) / 1954-67 (Wiederaufbau) / 2008
- keine Angabe -
Total projects: 484
Distance: 0.22 km
St.-Petri-Kirche in the west of downtown Dortmund is an example of the special design of medieval hall churches in Westphalia. Nave and aisles of the three-bay building have the same height. The ground plan is almost square, the chancel thus somewhat short.
One special feature is the cambered belfry, which after having crumbled in 1752 and been destroyed in 1943 had to be rebuilt. Its full size was only restored in 1981. The height of its spire of 60m can be put down to a competition between Reinoldikirche and St.-Petri Kirche in the 15th and 16th century. The base is 15m high, the total tower stands 105m tall.
After having been destroyed many times over, the only original element is the baptistery.
Inside, the late-Gothic winged altar from 1521, originally manufactured for the Dortmund Franciscan monastery, is noteworthy. It is the largest Flemish altar of the Middle Ages. Unfold, the 7.4m wide and 5.6m high altar shows 36 detailed pictures, gold-plated wood-carved figures. It is therefore also called “Das Goldene Wunder“ (the golden wonder).
Auszeichnung guter Bauten 2010 (BDA Dortmund), Auszeichnung
Author: Editorial baukunst-nrw
Last changed on 11.05.2009