Hochstraße 71, 58095 Hagen
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
1898 / 1945 / 2006-09 (Sanierung)
Architekt Henry van de Velde
(design for interior finish) Carl Gérard
(architectural design) Ingenieurbüro Bild + Partner Beratende Ingenieure mbB
(structural design annex 1975 and 2006–09)
Total projects: 483
Karl Ernst Osthaus founded the museum in 1898 and had it built based upon plans by Carl Gérard and Henry van de Velde.
After his death in 1921, his heirs sold the contemporary art collection. The house in Hagen was acquired by Kommunale Elektrizitätswerk Mark (municipal utility). A large part of the collection was lost in WWII, so that the collection had to be rebuilt after 1945.
The building in the style of historism with art nouveau installations has two storeys and in its main facade is characterised by a central risalit. The arcades above the entrance are each capped by a leaf capital. The facade is plastered in beige and stepped with sandstone ornaments.
The Osthaus Museum was again renovated from 2006 to 2009 and re-opened in conjunction with the Emil Schumacher Museum opposite. Both museums have since been connected by a glass structure.
See also Emil-Schumacher Museum
See also Folkwang- Museum
Author: Editorial baukunst-nrw
Last changed on 04.01.2023