Ruhrorter Str. 187, 47119 Duisburg
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
Project is part of "Housing Culture Trail"
Total projects: 484
Distance: 0.28 km
Distance: 1.20 km
The so-called "Tausendfensterhaus" is situated on a former harbour island of the filled ring and shipyard harbour and forms the gateway to Ruhrort. It was built 1922-23 as the HQ of Rheinische Stahlwerke after a much noticed architects’ competition.
Not unlike Peter Behrens’ old Düsseldorf Mannesmann HQ, the building is a massive block under one roof with uniform bands of windows, which is where the name comes from. The representative character is reflected in the portal area with the drive and canopy, but also in decorative details in the masonry and under the base of the roof. The Schifferkinderheim aside, the as Tausendfensterhaus is the second important example of the so-called brick expressionism in Ruhrort. The originally open inner courtyard was closed with a glass roof by Harald Deilmann in 1996 when the building was modernised. Today, it accommodates a number of companies and an out-patient eye-clinic.
More at route-industriekultur.de
Author: Route der Industriekultur/ editorial baukunst-nrw
Last changed on 18.09.2007