Front Malakow towers

Lateral view residential towers

Workshops

At night

Malakowtürme Zeche Holland

Ückendorferstraße 243, 45886 Gelsenkirchen

Icon legend

IconThis icon indicates an awarded building

IconThis icon indicates a listed building

IconProjects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list

IconProject has been converted, renovated or extended

IconProject is part of "Housing Culture Trail"

x close

awarded building listed building converted, renovated or extended part of Housing Culture Trail

1856-1860

Historismus

Architekt Fritz Schupp
(ventilation building in 1925)
Architekt Martin Kremmer
(ventilation building in 1925)

- keine Angabe -

bookmark project | Bookmarks/Route planner (0)


This website uses Google Maps to integrate maps. Please note that personal data can be recorded and collected here. To see the Google Maps map, please consent to it being loaded from the Google server. You can find more information here.

Total projects: 484

Full-text search:

Search projects:

search

Advanced search with more criteria

Total projects: 484

Malakowtürme Zeche Holland

For friends of Malakow towers, the former Zeche Holland pit in Gelsenkirchen-Ückendorf is very attractive. It is the only pit in the Ruhr area with two extant such towers. The machine shed stands right between them. This castle-like ensemble is from the early stage of the mining industry in the Ruhr area. The shaft was sunk from 1856; coal extraction started four years later.
The profitable mining industry lured a number of foreign investors to the Ruhr area. In this case, these were Dutchmen, as observant readers will have told from the name of the pit. Since outside Germany the legal form of a “Gewerkschaft” was unknown, the Dutch founded a corporation, which at that time was rare for a mining company.
Zeche Holland was successful for more than a hundred years. Its history was characterised by an integration with other companies or other pits. Holland became a combined pit. Between the world wars, 15 mining shafts were part of the combine. While on the founding pit, Holland ½, extraction was stopped in 1926, the shaft was still used for man-riding. About 100 years after the ground had been broken, though, Holland 1/2 was finally shut down completely.
The afore-mentioned ensemble aside, the workshops and machine shed from 1885 and a ventilation shed from 1925 are also extant. The latter had been designed by the industrial architects Fritz Schupp and Martin Kremmer. Zeche Holland shaft I/II has been renovated and converted since 2002 to develop residential and office buildings and a restaurant and a wine shop.

Awards:
Westfälisch-Lippischer Preis für Denkmalpflege 2009 (Land NRW und Landschaftsverband Westfalen-Lippe), Anerkennung

Author: Route der Industriekultur / Editorial baukunst-nrw
Last changed on 13.07.2021

 

Categories:
Engineering » Energy
Architecture » Commercial Buildings » Technical
Architecture » Residential buildings » Multiple Housing

keine Aktion...

Cookie notice
We use cookies. Some of them are essential for the website to work. Others help to continuously improve our online offer. You can find information in our privacy policy


Edit cookie settings
Here you can select or deactivate different categories of cookies on this website.

🛈
🛈