Düsseldorfer Str. 51, 47051 Duisburg
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
Project is part of "Housing Culture Trail"
1959-64 / 1985-87
Total projects: 484
The Wilhelm-Lehmbruck-Museum was built between 1956 and 1964 in two stages by the son of the sculptor, architect Manfred Lehmbruck.
The original building of the museum of sculptures is characterised by the for the time rather unusual breakdown into two buildings of different designs. The structure is situated in a park used as s sculptures garden.
The exhibition building for the works of Wilhelm Lehmbruck is a reinforced concrete structure arranged around a square atrium. The building is embedded in the soil and on many gallery levels always provides new perspectives. A continuous glass band conveys the impression of a self-supporting ceiling plate, with additional daylight also coming in via the open atrium.
This is contrasted by the huge hall, a transparent steel-glass structure. The almost total all-round glazing provides a maximum of natural light.
A novelty was this exhibition hall’s adaptability through a flexible system of screens.
After between 1985 and 1987 the museum was completed by three windowless cube annexes, it now has a collection area of 5,150 sq m and a room for temporary exhibitions of 750 sq m.
Author: editorial baukunst-nrw
Last changed on 23.07.2021