Raffelbergbrücke, 45468 Mülheim an der Ruhr
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
- keine Angabe -
- keine Angabe -
Total projects: 483
45476 Mülheim an der Ruhr
Distance: 2.04 km
Distance: 2.11 km
Distance: 2.34 km
45479 Mülheim an der Ruhr
Wasserkraftwerk Raffelberg an der Ruhr was built by architects Arthur Pfeifer and Hans Großmann, as was the adjacent power plant Kahlenberg.
The plant at the ideally situated Raffelberg lock was “to save 2,200 wagon loads of coal”.
The plant was built between 1922 and 1925; the technical equipment was based upon plans provided by Berlin’s Siemens-Schuckert-Werke. Four Francis turbines with vertical shafts were installed and coupled with the three-phase generators. The generated three-phase current of 5,000V was fed into the local Speldorf grid and, after, transformation to 25kV, into the RWE power grid. Friedrich-Wilhelms-Hütte in Mülheim (Deutsch-Lux-Konzern) was also supplied from Raffelberg.
In the course of an expansion of the energy supply after WWII, at the beginning of the 1960s, the three-phase generators were refitted for 10,000V. The staff-intensive work, however, put a question mark behind the plant’s economic efficiency, and in the mid-1970s the turbines’ controls were automated in accordance with plans provided by the Heidenheim-based company Voith. A full automation, including the electrical part of the plant, is in the pipeline. The plant has been listed since 1986.
Author: Route der Industriekultur
Last changed on 13.07.2021