Im Schloßpark 15, 45699 Herten
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
1376 / 1530-60 (Ausbau) / 1687 (Umgestaltung)
- keine Angabe -
Total projects: 483
Schloss Herten is a late-Gothic castle with a core in the northern wing’s cellar.
Schloss Herten is a two-part site, consisting of the outer bailey and keep. The four-wing keep is a moated brick building with round corner pavilion towers. The outer bailey is also made of bricks and is situated on its own island. With the exception of the one-storey south wing, the keep’s wings have two storeys. All wings are crowned by pitched roofs and feature stepped gables with pinnacle ornamentation.
Schloss Herten was first mentioned in 1376, expanded by Bertram von Nesselrode from 1530 to 1560 and rebuilt in a baroque style from 1687 to 1702 after a fire had destroyed it. Since then, only a few modifications have been made. Today’s outer bailey is from the 16th century and once was the west wing of a now ruined depot. Next to this ruin, we find the chapel in the 16th century originally built for the former Grimberg castle in Gelsenkirchen. It was relocated here in 1908.
Parts of the castle serve as therapy rooms for the adjacent Zentrum für Psychiatrie, other parts are used for concerts, parties and exhibitions.
Author: Stadt Herten
Last changed on 05.03.2008