Schlossstraße, 41363 Jüchen
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
Project is part of "Housing Culture Trail"
ab 1094 / 1647-63 / 18.-20. Jh.
- keine Angabe -
Total projects: 484
Distance: 0.00 km
Dyck castle was first mentioned in documents in 1094 and has since been owned by the ‘zu Salm-Rifferscheid-Dyck’ family.
A first fortification in the 11th century was followed by a stone castle in the 13th, which was to a large extent re-designed after having been partly destroyed in the Thirty Years’ War.
Under Ernst Salentin zu Salm-Rifferscheid-Dyck the medieval castle was rebuilt like a palace in the 17th century and augmented by more outer castles. Today’s appearance of the castle is still characterised by these construction measures.
In the 18th century the castle saw baroque extensions and completions.
After a partial destruction by bombs in WWII, the castle was reconstructed in the post-war period, renovated in 1961 and gradually redeveloped since the establishment of the Stiftung Schloss Dyck (Schloss Dyck Foundation) in 1999.
The castle features an extensive park, modelled on an English landscape garden by the Scottish landscape architect Thomas Blaikie around 1800. In the course of the ‘Landesgartenschau EUROGA 2002’ (state garden exhibition), centred in Dyck, the historic park and its unusual collection of plants and old trees was restored.
Author: Editorial baukunst-nrw
Last changed on 16.05.2007