Am Rombergpark, 44225 Dortmund
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
Project is part of "Housing Culture Trail"
- keine Angabe -
Total projects: 484
Distance: 1.29 km
Rombergpark was designed as an English landscape garden between 1820 an 1822 for the noble family von Romberg in accordance with plans by the royal court gardener Maximilian Friedrich Weyhe. In 1927, the city of Dortmund acquired the garden and, in succession to the botanical garden founded before 1900, created a new botanical garden there, with its now famous collection of wood and a school garden.
After the war, in 1949 the horticultural work of the botanical garden Rombergpark was resumed. Under the direction of Gerd Krüssmann, over the next few decades Rombergpark gained an international reputation. Krüssmann collected the largest area of ornamental wood in all of Europe. 4,500 different types and varieties do now grow in the botanical garden.
Some trees planted at the time when the park was created are still extant, e.g. a sycamore tree (1822), copper beeches at the bastion and Weyhe-Allee with Dutch limes.
More at: European Garden Heritage Network (eghn.org)
Author: Route Industriekultur/ Editorial staff baukunst-nrw
Last changed on 25.09.2007