Berliner Straße 14, 58135 Hagen
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
Project is part of "Housing Culture Trail"
- keine Angabe -
Total projects: 484
Distance: 1.03 km
Distance: 2.15 km
The former warehouse “Lagerhaus Lehnkering” from 1911 is, next to the crematorium, Hohenhof, Behrens-Villen and Karl Ernst Osthaus Museum, one of the most important extant buildings of the so-called "Hagener Impuls".
The building was planned by the architects Leopold und Heinrich Ludwigs Bros., who had been inspired by things they saw on a prolonged trip through the US. The facade is an unusual mix of art nouveau elements and early expressionism. The four-wing site is built upon a mighty natural stone brick base and plastered. The four female figures on the projecting sandstone cornice at the main facade symbolise trade and commerce. On the roof is a small tower with a rough outline of a globe to symbolise the former builder and owner’s activities.
In cooperation with the town marketing association (Stadtmarketingverein), the international hauling company “Spedition Schenker” was the first company to realise the illumination of their listed office building in the Hagen district of Haspe. Some details of the fairly early-expressionistic building were, literally, highlighted, viz., the globe on a tower-like plinth on the roof and two bas-reliefs at the main facade.
Warehouse at night
Author: Route Industriekultur/ Editorial baukunst-nrw
Last changed on 01.04.2008