Bodelschwingher Str., 44357 Dortmund
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
Project is part of "Housing Culture Trail"
1873 / 1905 / 1922
- keine Angabe -
Architekt Paul Knobbe
Total projects: 484
The pit in the Dortmund district of Bodelschwingh is named after Schloss Westhusen (a palace) in the adjacent district of Westerfilde and was commissioned in 1873.
The pit’s surface facilities are among the architecturally most significant in the entire Ruhr area. The art nouveau wages shed (ca. 1906) with the admin wings aside, there is the monumental 27m tall Malakowturm over mining shaft 1 from the pit’s early days.
You can also visit the workshops from 1905 with the fan shed (1908), the machine shed of mining shaft 2 (1922/27) and a steam-driven hauling machine.
The plant houses a mining museum created by the Geschichtsarbeitskreis Westerfilde/ Bodelschwingh (a local history workshop) and exhibiting important documents about the eastern Ruhr area’s mining tradition. The pithead baths behind the wages shed had to be demolished in 1993 after a fire had broken out. The 1920s pit frame is also no longer there.
Author: Editorial baukunst-nrw
Last changed on 06.05.2009