© Foto: Rainer Knäpper, Lizenz: Lizenz Freie Kunst
© Foto: Beckstet; Lizenz: CC BY-SA 3.0
Am Stift, 44263 Dortmund
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
1862-1865 / 1947-1949 / 1961 / 1985-1990
Paderborner Diözesanbaumeister Arnold Güldenpfennig
(architectural design) Wilhelm Buschschulte
(church window) Architekt Gerhard August Fischer
(site engineer) Eustermann
- keine Angabe -
Advanced search with more criteria
Total projects: 483
Distance: 1.41 km
Distance: 1.51 km
Distance: 1.63 km
The neo-Gothic pillar basilica St. Clara with transept, side choirs and polygonal main choir was designed from 1862-1865 by Arnold Güldenpfennig and erected near the place of the 14th century Kloster Clarenberg and Stift St. Clara (cloister and chapter respectively). In 1944, the church was destroyed and it was rebuilt in 1947-1949.
The main portal with the entrance to the three-aisled church with a crossing tower is found on the western side.
The central aisle is horizontally broken down four times. At the base, we find three doors, if need be closed by an iron gate bearing the arms of Hörde. The main entrance is framed by two pillars with a leaf capital each.
The south facade is dominated by five buttresses and diagonal arches. Above each, we see two windows above each other. The bottom row can be compared with the windows of the first facade.
The east facade is characterised by the choir. On both sides of the choir, we find one buttress each. The windows were designed in the 1990s by Wilhelm Buschschulte. You can see gargoyles in every corner of the choir. Mostly, these are animals or fantastical creatures, supposed to ward off evil spirits.
The north facade has a striking side entrance, underscored by a wimperg (a Gothic ornamental gable). The framing arches feature a lot of ornaments (vines, grapes, leaves). The centre of the gable-like crown in a stone rosette with hexagonal tracery shows Christ as the agnus dei with a cross and a cup. The crocket gable frame ends in a finial.
Where transept and central nave intersect, a square superstructure, the tower’s base, rises.
The octagonal tower has a copper roof, capped off by a brass cross and a weathercock. Again, in all corners we find the stone gargoyles.
The interior does also reflect the plain exterior of the church.
Architekturpreis Beton 2011 (BDZ / BDA), Preisträger
Author: Editorial baukunst-nrw
Last changed on 21.07.2009
Architecture » Public Buildings » Religious