Huyssenallee 53, 45128 Essen
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
Project is part of "Housing Culture Trail"
Total projects: 484
The first Essen concert hall was built in the Stadtgarten in 1904.
Exactly 100 years later, the new “Philharmonie Essen” was opened here, after the renovation and expansion of the historic “Saalbau” into a modern concert hall with a total of three halls.
The only thing that was kept in its original shape was the “Saalbau’s” shell. Inside, the concert hall now accommodating up to 1,900 people ((Alfried Krupp Saal) was expanded downward by one storey and renewed as the building’s core, as it were.
A side entrance facing the Aalto-Theater improves access to the building and its urbanistic linkage.
In terms of material, light and pleasant materials were preferred and have replaced the old and dark ones.
In order to attain ideal acoustic conditions, extensive sound-proofing was done and the sound development also checked by various calculations and simulations. In the large concert hall, for example, a ceiling sculpture and an acoustic sail make for ideal audibility.
Author: Editorial baukunst-nrw
Last changed on 16.04.2007