Comesstr. 42, 50319 Brühl
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
Total projects: 483
Distance: 1.78 km
The Max Ernst Museum in Brühl’s new concept’s hallmark is the successful interplay of the listed old building and the modern annexe.
The museum’s basis is the two-wing Benediktusheim built in 1844.
The renovated two-storey old building accommodates the permanent exhibition while the 500 sq m temporary exhibition and an event hall were put into the underground part of the new building. The basement’s roof forms a platform made of natural stone that also serves as a base for the transparent pavilion and an exhibition space for sculptures. Narrow continuous windows between the platform’s upper edge and the ground bring daylight into the basement.
The one-storey overground new building fits into the inner courtyard of the U-shaped old building and accommodates the foyer and access functions.
The reserved architectural language, which respects the old buildings, preserves the overall appearance of the ensemble of buildings and the surrounding park.
Award: Exemplary buildings in North Rhine – Westphalia 2005 (State of NRW/chamber of architects NRW) Auszeichnung: Vorbildliche Bauten in Nordrhein-Westfalen 2005 (Land NRW/Architektenkammer NRW)
Exemplary buildings in North Rhine – Westphalia 2005; Land NRW/chamber of architects NRW
Author: Editorial baukunst-nrw