Rote Fuhr 99, 44329 Dortmund
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
- keine Angabe -
Gas- und Wasserwerke Stadt Unna
Advanced search with more criteria
Total projects: 483
Distance: 2.44 km
Distance: 3.34 km
Distance: 4.85 km
Distance: 5.28 km
The water tower from 1904/1905 can be seen from afar and was designed by the August Klönne company in Dortmund for the Städtische Gas- und Wasserwerke zu Unna (municipal utility). It was used for the water supply of Lanstrop, Derne, Mengede, Brambauer and parts of Lünen until 1980.
The steel-sheet elevated tank is borne by a steel frame. The function is no longer bricked, but can be seen, which is a hallmark of modern, functionalist industrial architecture.
The tank is of the Barkhausen design type, characterised by a hemispherical upper and lower side and reinforced lateral walls.
The first elevated water tank of this kind was built in 1899 on the Zeche Minister Stein pit. “Lanstroper Ei” is the last extant Barkhausen tank in the Ruhr area. At a height of 18.3m and a diameter of 14m, the tank has a capacity of 2,000m³ of water. In its entirety, the tower is 60m tall.
Plans to demolish it met with the resistance of the neighbouring districts’ population, who love it as a landmark of the region.
Author: Route Industriekultur/ Editorial baukunst-nrw
Last changed on 13.07.2021
Engineering » Structure
Engineering » Towers