Ständehausstraße 1, 40217 Düsseldorf
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
Project is part of "Housing Culture Trail"
1876-80 / 2001
Total projects: 484
Distance: 0.66 km
The Ständehaus was built between 1876 and 1880 to accommodate the “Rheinischer Provinzial Landtag” (the regional assembly) and from 1949 to 1988 housed the NRW Landtag. After the new Landtag had been built on the banks of the Rhine, for a few years the former remained defunct. In 1995, the decision was taken to renovate the building and to use it as a branch of the Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen.
The building was gutted and the post-war platform building replaced by a 3,000 sq m glass dome. This now provides a 1,600 sq m exhibition area. Toward the Kaiserteich, the supporting walls got hatches to provide the large basement with some daylight. The bright inner courtyard over three floors is surrounded by smaller rooms, which can be used for various exhibition purposes. The chamber was scaled back to its original size and on the first floor some of it protrudes into the inner courtyard, also providing exhibition space.
Author: editorial baukunst-nrw
Last changed on 11.09.2007