Tilsiter Straße 31 a, 45470 Mülheim an der Ruhr
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
Project is part of "Housing Culture Trail"
1925/26 - 1984/85 (Umbau )
- keine Angabe -
Pfeifer und Großmann Architekturbüro
- keine Angabe -
Total projects: 484
45470 Mülheim an der Ruhr
Distance: 0.87 km
45468 Mülheim an der Ruhr
Distance: 2.08 km
This castle-like construction has always been a very special residence. Built in 1925 / 26, it was purchased in 1940 by the Verband für Bergbau to provide flats for former coal-mine employees. Its name, “Feierabendhaus” (Knock-off Time House), describes its former use very fittingly. Over the years the building became unrentable and was finally sold. The city of Mülheim took it over for out of concern for the “welfare of the elderly citizens who live there” and to prevent the complex from falling into the hands of speculators. Ten years later the property was sold to the SWB GmbH.
By then the residential units were no longer up-to-date. There were 72 incomplete flats, without bathrooms and with defective electrical installation. Nevertheless, with its special architecture, this traditional and historically-protected building was to be preserved. Although several interior walls were taken out to create residential units with all modern conveniences, the exterior of the complex was not allowed to be changed. When a proposal to 20 balconies was made, they were only permitted because it was verified that there had already been wooden balconies on the northern wing in the 1920s.
The extensive reconstruction resulted in the creation of 53 modern flats, which are now sought after by both young and old. The facility’s park-like green areas, the landscape surrounding the property and the optimally-developed infrastructural environment provide all the elements required for all-around comfortable living.
Author: Route der Wohnkultur
Last changed on 07.04.2010