Brockhauser Straße 72a, 44797 Bochum
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
- keine Angabe -
Total projects: 483
The Virgin Mary pilgrimage church from 1008 is a hall church and situated right in the middle of a vegetated courtyard in the Bochum district of Stiepel.
In the 12th century, a Romanesque basilica was erected on the foundations of an old hall church. It was expanded in the 15th century by a Gothic chancel with a rib vault as we see it now. Romanesque and Gothic elements aside, parts of the church are timber frame.
The about 800 years old mural paintings inside are historically noteworthy for their details. They were restored in 1952, bared and are also listed, just like the church. The octahedral late-gothic baptistery is also still there.
Author: Editorial baukunst-nrw
Last changed on 27.10.2023