Weststraße 52, D-59065 Hamm
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
Total projects: 483
Distance: 1.06 km
This listed office and commercial building at the corner of Weststraße/Ritterstraße is a special one among those from the early 20th century.
The expressionist building was built in 1927 in accordance with plans by architect Max Krusemark and is of the Backsteinexpressionismus (brick expressionism) style.
Like “the bows against the waves” the Münster-based architect Krusemark (born 30.10.1887 in Breslau) put the clinker building on the corner property of West- and Ritterstraße at Westentor.
The client was shoe retailer C. Viehoff.
Städt. Gustav-Lübcke-Museum dedicated an exhibition to architect Max Krusemark in 1928.
On the first floor, there was “Cafe Metropol“, then a popular place for all and sundry. Salon and observation deck were ideal for seeing people and for being seen by people. From here, one could observe the busy Weststraße and Westentor.
In the mid-1930s, some renovations were made. In 1948/1949, the damage sustained during WWII was repaired. The still visible war damage along Ritterstraße was removed in 1966 in accordance with plans by architect C. H. Wibbe from Hamm. The owner of the office and commercial building was the Alfred Rosenberger company.
Author: Stadt Hamm
Last changed on 24.10.2007