Niederwall 25, 33602 Bielefeld
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
Total projects: 483
Distance: 4.99 km
Distance: 8.46 km
Bielefeld had had no theatre for quite a long time. After three years of construction, Bernhard Sehring’s building was only opened in 1904. The construction had been made possible by an initiative of the widow of the Bielefeld tobacco manufacturer Crüwell, who donated the bulk of the money required.
The listed art nouveau building had to survive a lot of financial and construction problems. The theatre was often threatened by closure but could always be kept running by private donations.
It was renovated in 1937 under the Nazis, before from 1939 its almost exclusively catered for German soldiers.
In WW II, the theatre was heavily damaged and had to be reconstructed. For financial reasons, the reconstruction, which lasted until 1960, did not include a preservation of the art nouveau facade. However, the latter was then indeed also reconstructed in 1979 within the framework of the 75th anniversary. Only one year has passed since the latest renovation from 2004 to 2006 organised by Theaterstiftung Bielefeld (a foundation).
Plays aside, music and dance performances are also part of its programme. At about 500 performances p.a., Stadttheater Bielefeld is one of the largest theatres in East Westphalia.
Author: editorial baukunst-nrw
Last changed on 25.01.2021