Adenauerallee 101, 45894 Gelsenkirchen
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
Project is part of "Housing Culture Trail"
13. Jh. / 1530 / 1788
- keine Angabe -
Total projects: 484
Distance: 0.52 km
The history of the castle can be traced back to the 13th century when it was a moated house. About 1530, it was converted into a castle by Georg von Boenen. About 1788, the manor no longer met the family’s, having been made counts, standards and was partly demolished.
Architect Engelbert Kleinhanz erected a new classical building, and the south wing was added. The three wings of the two-storey castle enclose the cour d’honneur. As early as 1700, to the south of the castle a geometrical baroque garden in the French style had been created, which during the westward expansion of the castle in 1788 was completed by an English landscape garden.
In 1924, the city acquired the castle and its surroundings and established a recreational facility there. The park was expanded to a total area of 72 hectares and its original style restored.
On the south side of the castle, in 2004 a steel-glass winter garden was erected whose wide roof overhang serves as the restaurant’s awning.
Author: Editorial baukunst-nrw
Last changed on 16.09.2008