Weseler Straße, 46487 Wesel
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
Project is part of "Housing Culture Trail"
- keine Angabe -
Total projects: 484
Distance: 11.65 km
The bridge connecting the districts of Kleve and Wesel was destroyed at the end of WWII and reconstructed as the first truss bridge across the Rhine from 1950 to 1953. The 12m tall trussed girders consist of three fields (97m, 150m, 97m), laterally connected to the foreshore bridges.
The bridge’s proximity to the A3 and A57 motorways makes it an important access route to the interregional grid.
The 512m long structure is part of the B 58 (an A-road) and was rebuilt on the old abutments. The usable width is 11.60m for two lanes and two footpaths.
In 2006, the construction of a new bridge was started. When that is finished in 2009, the truss bridge is to be demolished. The new bridge’s total will be 772m in length. It will have four car lanes and a footpath and cycle path each. It will be a rampant cable-stayed bridge with a 130m tall pylon and two parts: the 376m long pre-stressed concrete foreshore bridges and the 396m long steel river bridge.
Author: Editorial baukunst-nrw
Last changed on 02.01.2023