Willi-Brandt-Platz 2-6, 44777 Bochum
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
Project is part of "Housing Culture Trail"
Total projects: 484
Distance: 0.43 km
Distance: 0.51 km
Bochum town hall was opened in 1931. Its construction, with 600 rooms and a floor space of 5,000 sq m, cost 9.25m Reichsmark – a vast sum at the time.
The building was built in a non-ornamental neo renaissance style and is characterised by a strictly symmetrical ground plan and large inner courtyard. The exterior is plain; the base is made of granite, the facade of shell lime. The portal and a two-storey gazebo-like porch are the only deviations from the symmetrical facade.
The council chamber, damaged in WWII and rebuilt in 1950, protrudes into the inner courtyard. It is flanked by two side yards, which feature the “fountain of happiness” and the “fountain of beauty”. Also noticeable is the plain but well-crafted interior design of the building.
Author: Route Industriekultur / Editorial baukunst-nrw
Last changed on 25.03.2008