Münsterplatz, 52062 Aachen
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
Project is part of "Housing Culture Trail"
um 800 / 1355-1414 (Chor)
Total projects: 484
Distance: 0.15 km
Today’s cathedral consists of a number of parts: the Carolingian octagon, The central octagon was built in the 790s in accordance with Byzantine examples as a chapel of the Aachen imperial palace. From all we know, the architect was the Franconian Odo von Metz. For 200 years, the palace chapel of Charlemagne north of the Alps was second to none in terms of height and width. The westwork is Carolingian, still extant are the two lateral stair towers and the access niche in between. In front of this we find the porch from the 18th century.
Author: Editorial baukunst-nrw
Last changed on 03.09.2019