Markt, 52062 Aachen
This icon indicates an awarded building
This icon indicates a listed building
Projects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list
Project has been converted, renovated or extended
1349 / 1656 (Umbau) / 19. Jh.
- keine Angabe -
Advanced search with more criteria
Total projects: 484
Distance: 0.14 km
Distance: 0.15 km
Distance: 0.15 km
Distance: 0.31 km
The Gothic Aachen town hall is one of the most striking buildings in the historic heart of Aachen. It was finished in 1349 on the foundations of an old Carolingian palace. Adjacent Granusturm from the time of Charlemagne was integrated into the structure. From 1650, the building saw a number of renovations, conversions and reconstructions. The town fire of 1656 destroyed parts of the roof, re-built in the baroque style. In the 18th century, the whole building was converted into a baroque town palace. As early as in the 19th century, the Gothic style was then reconstructed and completed by neo-Gothic paintings, reliefs and sculptures. However, there are still some baroque elements visible. In addition, the wall facing the market square was expanded by reproductions of the heads of the 50 kings and symbols from the arts, science and Christianity.
In WW II, the building sustained heavy bomb damage. Some parts were complete destroyed. The reconstruction and subsequent renovation of the interior took until the end of the 1970’s. The focus was upon structural integrity and a detailed reconstruction of the destroyed parts of the building. Subsequently, the interior was restored to its original design or renovated in the right style.
Today, this provides tourists with an architectural attraction in the historic heart of the city. At the same time, it is the right venue for the annual “Karlspreis” award ceremony.
Author: Editorial staff baukunst-nrw
Last changed on 29.10.2007
Architecture » Public Buildings » Administrative/Town Halls