glass elephant

Maximilianpark

www.maximilianpark.de

Alter Grenzweg 2, 59071 Hamm

Icon legend

IconThis icon indicates an awarded building

IconThis icon indicates a listed building

IconProjects with this logo are on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list

IconProject has been converted, renovated or extended

IconProject is part of "Housing Culture Trail"

x close

converted, renovated or extended

1902/1984

- keine Angabe -

Landschaftsarchitekten | Martin + Pridik
(landscape architecture)
Architekt Horst Rellecke
(glass elephant)

Maximilianpark Hamm GmbH

bookmark project | Bookmarks/Route planner (0)


This website uses Google Maps to integrate maps. Please note that personal data can be recorded and collected here. To see the Google Maps map, please consent to it being loaded from the Google server. You can find more information here.

Total projects: 484

Full-text search:

Search projects:

search

Advanced search with more criteria

Total projects: 484

Maximilianpark

The popular leisure park on the former pit Maximilian developed in 1984 as the Landesgartenschau and has lost none of its attractiveness. Its landmark is the glass elephant – a former coal washing plant turned a walkable sculpture. At its feet are colourful landscapes, shading woods and unusual playgrounds. A special attraction is the butterfly house with free-range butterflies from the tropics. In the former pit buildings like pithead bath or electrical systems, we now have a varied cultural and entertainment programme.In 1902, Eisenwerkgesellschaft Maximilianhütte AG started to sink two mine shafts, but their luck ran out. Continual water inrushes made the construction of the mine shafts very difficult indeed. In 1907, the seams were reached at a depth of 634m. However, a number of mishaps delayed the extraction of coal starting in 1912 but given up again as early as 1914, again because of water inrushes.After the pit was closed, the regional flora and fauna had more than 50 years for itself in a kind of safe haven for endangered species. In 1981, the Maximilian wasteland saw the beginnings of the preparations for the 1. Landesgartenschau Nordrhein-Westfalen. The site’s nature and mining history are part of the park. The pit’s relics have been integrated into either the landscape or the works of art. The most visible creative product is the conversion of the former coal washing plant into a huge glass elephant. The newly created Maximilianpark was opened in 1984. Today, the former electrical systems shed and workshop accommodate various exhibitions. The railway museum shows historical steam and diesel engines. The pithead baths in their function as a conference centre can seat about 1,000 peoples. The former admin building these days is used by the local authority.More at route-industriekultur.de

Author: Route Industriekultur/ editorial Baukunst NRW
Last changed on 09.10.2007

 

Categories:
Engineering » Energy
Landscape Architecture » Parks
Architecture » Public Buildings » Cultural (cinemas, theatres, museums)

keine Aktion...

Cookie notice
We use cookies. Some of them are essential for the website to work. Others help to continuously improve our online offer. You can find information in our privacy policy


Edit cookie settings
Here you can select or deactivate different categories of cookies on this website.

🛈
🛈